Friday, October 23, 2009

The Inside Out Building



51 Lime St. London, England
Though the neoclassical-slapped-on facade of the Lloyds Building in London is Howard Roark's (Ayn Rand's) worst nightmare, the water pipes and electrical power conduits on the outside of the building do so much more than dazzle tourists with a mediocre knowledge of architecture (someday I hope to be that tourist!) It also opens up a lot of useful space in the interior of the building. Leave it to an industrial designer to make such a functional beauty.

maybe it's just me, but I think the interior is reminiscent of the Bradbury building in L.A. (the first image shows the interior escalators of the Lloyds of London Building, and the second is the staircase of the Bradbury Building as seen in the movie "Blade Runner")
top photo cred: Stanton M. Woods

2 comments:

  1. I've been there before! Ah, now you've made me homesick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drew this building in Colin's drawing class in...2005? Except I didn't know anything about it then. I have no idea where the drawing is now.

    ReplyDelete